[governance] Round III - 15 from non-gov stakeholders 5+5+5

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Fri Dec 17 10:04:10 EST 2010

Mexico
Thank you.
We support this proposal.

Canada
Still member states have more than 50%, but it’s a good compromise and
we would support.

Argentina
Support your proposal

UK
Support

Brazil
We had lunch in wrong place.
We had to compromise – to combine the respect of UN rules and
participation of stakeholders.
I am impressed with some colleagues – trying to find compromise two days ago.
Discussion this afternoon did not touch other important points,
Representation of stakeholders from developing countries
I like to urge colleagues to have final consensus this afternoon.

Chair
Clarification
Chair’s proposal is to have consensus on the formula, and then equal
representation of developing and developed in any composition.
On UN rules, we have to be innovative to allow stakeholder and member states.

China
China is of the same opinion of Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Iran …. Expressed.
Just that. Thank you.

Tunisia
Legitimate concerne of preserving the
Your proposal is fine – needs to be a little bit strengthened by a
kind of Chapeau to guarantee – that this process – there is no equal
status between member states and other stakeholders
“while recognize that other stakeholders are not treated on equal
footing” then add “participation of stakeholders will be on advisory
basis”
just to give insurance that there be no equal (political) status.

Finland
Join the countries in support of the proposal.
Echo Canada.

Egypt
Stress
1) issue of improving IGF came from participants of IGF in Egypt in 2009
CSTD – ECOSOC- by establishing WG
2) Principles of openness and inclusiveness is important
3) Still concerned with the modalities of this group
4) The more we look the numbers, we go again into controversial nature
– turning it into advisory one – we consider it clearly CSTD WG
However, I want to propose a different proposal
 We better focus on Mandate of IGF in para 72 – the language goes to ECOSOC

- to establish Multistakeholder Task Forces (of three or four)
-  each with mandate, come-up with analysis, improve where needed
- in bottom-up approach
- there will be first reading of different reports in open
consultation, then second reading that focus on final editing and
then, submitted to CSTD
- this is to avoid going on status problem of composition

Chair
Egypt – you were not listening to my correction – it is not advisory,
but WG of Chair

India
We share the concern of delegations expressed
In the morning consensus be developing but we need to come with
innovative model of taking stakeholders but also respect UN rules
Chair’s proposal put it back into Ground zero – because putting all
stakeholders to
 Welcome to Tunisia and Egypt comments - expressed – unless we can
discuss these models, we cannot reach – for next 2 hours be wasted.
 Surprised at the interpretation of ECOSOC  - it is CSTD WG.
Chair tasked the Vice Chair – that current chair wrote – wrote to
establish the CSTD WG, questionnaire calling it as CSTD WG.
Formal process already completed.
Involve the work of WGs, invitees of the Chair, but not performing the
same roles of CSTD members, or put them into observers, or take
Tunisian or Egyptian proposals.

Chair
We are open – I don’t think Chair is going back to zero.
When we return – I make some proposition – you may agree or disagree
with the Chair
If we have majority that stakeholders be observers – then we have to
call for vote.
Comments – for modalities of all stakeholders
So that we can conclude this meeting

Portugal
Ask Para 18 of Second committee – to invite the Chair of CSTD, but not CSTD.
So what is going here, I don’t understand.
Thank you Chair, for inviting CSTD members, because you didn’t have to
– and you can invite both member states and all other stakeholders –
in order to submit to the CSTD
These are the rules of ECOSOC.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org