[governance] Re: governments first others later

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Dec 16 15:43:47 EST 2010

From what I heard at the reception hosted by US Permanent Mission in
Genea, the CSTD government folks need to resolve certain issues
before opening the door to civil society and the private sector. But that
itself indicates something.

To me, CSTD is still very much operated in traditional UN fashion and
they see IGF as outside the UN system and are not ready to adopt
to some of the core innovations, let's say, of IGF.

Certain government members, mostly mission people here in Geneva
are afraid of bringing civil society on equal footing to governments,
and that is like a flu or pandemic, widely shared by them according
to some people close to CSTD.

Whether we like it or not, big "cultural" change or attitudes not to
accept the change is there.

izumi

--
                        >> Izumi Aizu <<