[governance] Draft IGC statement at CSTD IGF Consultation Friday

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Dec 16 08:53:08 EST 2010

In message <AANLkTiks4-MT-kfkN9Ufnpc8Eg+ZECQQC1us2i-bU-
R7 at mail.gmail.com>, at 15:36:32 on Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Izumi AIZU
<iza at anr.org> writes

>civil society actors who have decent interests and reasons and
>willingness to participate but prohibited from doing so by cost of
>travel and amount of time to spend to have 5 minutes slots if lucky…

I wouldn't use that as an excuse because it makes it sound like you are
there just to speak "at" the room, and not to listen or negotiate or
help form the outcomes. In any event, the most useful work is often done
in the corridors and over lunch, and speaking nicely in private to the
chair and secretariat. (That's for all these kinds of meetings, the CSTD
is not special).

>- WSIS accreditation is 6 years old and limited
>- ECOSOC accreditation is difficult and time-consuming to obtain
>
>- Otherwise we will limit our own work to the “usual suspects” only

I'm not denying that a more open framework might suit some purposes
better, but there are three thousand ECOSOC accredited organisations -
is it really not possible to engage the enthusiasm of a few of those and
widen the range of participation (of individuals) that way?

>WSIS follow up which leads to the WSIS 2015

Are you assuming there will be a big WSIS 2015 event? (This is really a
topic for a new discussion),
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org