[governance] EC consultation in NY: my report

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Dec 16 02:43:56 EST 2010

On 16/12/2010, at 1:56 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:

> In sum Izumi: I suggest you mak point that IGF IS nascent 'enhanced cooperation;' next step over next five year phase would be for IGF to - send messages in a bottle or gasp - make recommendations; with inclusion of all stakeholders. AND - that IGF can help elaborate a framework of principles....see Bill we don;t need no convention, we got one already.

If I can stick my neck out for a minute and suggest a sound-bite for tomorrow's consultation, everyone knows that I have been in favour of a more empowered IGF since even before its first meeting.  Until now this has been widely rejected because of the fear that being asked to  make recommendations would destroy the productive and open discussions that take place there.  But what I draw from Milton's report is that it may be a choice between a recommendation-making IGF, *or* a new purely intergovernmental forum which would quickly make the IGF redundant (excellent report by the way Milton; and excellent response Avri).  In that context, which would we rather choose?  If I were in Geneva, I would put it in those stark terms.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.