[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Dec 12 02:17:16 EST 2010

Katitza Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> In my personal capacity, I have the same concerns that Mc Tim
> mentioned here. IGC is moving an agenda where there
> is no certainty about our involvement in equal footing. As I
> mentioned, since this is quite a short time, and we do not have yet
> a position on this issue, I can't endorse that statement.
Katitza and McTim

One, IGC's statement clearly asks for any future structure to involve
CS. That is a big part of our main enhanced cooperation statement.
Wikileaks parts just highlights the kind of basic substantive issues
involved here. So, how do you judge that we are 'moving an agenda where
there  is no certainty about our involvement in equal footing'.

Second, OECD/CoE initiatives do not have anything close to involvement
of CS on an equal footing. Worse, the globally non-democratic and
non-inclusive nature of these initiatives makes it rather quite
'certain' that, when the crunch comes, the decisions/outcomes will favor
richer countries and other dominant groups. Is it not obvious.

I often wonder about the nature of this 'political fiction' of civil
society being by and in itself a political constituency, and the way
propping this fiction has become the main task of many in the IG CS space.

I am civil society (as in organized CS) only as a political expedient.
My basic  politics  is to represent and serve the interests of those
people and groups who I see as  structurally and systemically
marginalized in current power equations. parminder