[governance] Wikileaks - ISOC

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Thu Dec 9 14:57:33 EST 2010

Hi

Twitter is not blocking. They change they algorithm many time ago. A
good tech and data analysis explanation is available here:

#WikiLeaks & Twitter Trending Topics: Manual Interference or Algorithms
as Usual?
http://opennet.net/blog/2010/12/wikileaks-twitter-trending-topics-manual-interference-or-algorithms-usual

"the problem with claiming that Twitter is blacklisting any particular
term ultimately comes down to a likely misunderstanding of the mechanics
behind trending terms. Volume alone does not dictate what is trending -
if that were the case, barring any stop-word list, we would see terms
like “lol” and “Bieber” constantly trending, and, ultimately, the lack
of churn in trending topics would make them a useless feature on the
site. For this reason, the likely major component is the velocity of
volume rather than volume itself (the algorithm itself is not publicly
known)."

".... perhaps the Wikileaks story should have been trending, and
perhaps the algorithm is due for some form of an overhaul to balance the
needs of Twitter the company and Twitter the communications platform.
The situation, then, is not whether or not Wikileaks is being
discriminated against, but whether or not we value that algorithmic
discrimination as users."

     governance at lists.cpsr.org