[governance] IGF Improvement

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Dec 8 10:11:21 EST 2010

In message <p06240817c924c68e2dd5@[186.113.248.242]>, at 14:26:36 on
Wed, 8 Dec 2010, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> writes
>Comment at the ICANN meeting this evening is that Wolfgang's news about
>the CSTD working group is correct.
>
>The only reasonable option for all civil society, private sector and
>Internet community is simply to not participate.

Based on the email that Izumi quoted yesterday, about attendance at the
CSTD session on the 17th, it does appear to be the "classic" recent CSTD
model of [in the room] Governments, ECOSOC consultative status entities
and WSIS accredited entities. Which excludes a wider range of
stakeholders, but the WSIS-accredited ones are supposed to past their
honeymoon period now, and CSTD never was open to everyone.

But if the WG doesn't even allow those other entities as observers,
that's a step backwards.

I do also wonder if there has been so much fighting for seats on the
non-government part of the originally proposed WG that they've decided
that rather than disappoint some, they'll disappoint all.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org