[governance] IGF Improvement

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:05:20 EST 2010

It is time to act fast and send a strong document before they issue a formal
note, arguing they should rethink their position.
If it is formalized, then we need to decide what to do - ask for observation
status, boycott, etc.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Jeremy and Adam, and all.
>
> It's so bad that the rumor sound like very much true.
>
> But, I may argue (for the sake of making clear consensus based
> on wide consideration) or ask - is the non-participation, boycotting
> the process really the best option now?
>
> Not participate to which process? Working Group only, to  which in any case
> if they exclude CS members we cannot participate.
> Or coming consultation process as a whole including on IGF and on EC?
>
> To me, rather, we need to raise our strong voice, joint letter with perhaps
> many more organizations than ICC and ISOC, and continue to "lobby",
> attend meetings, as observer then request for speaking slots etc,
> with clear reservation that we do not approve this approach.
>
> An early withdrawal may make just our presence very low in the main stage,
> unless we have a very strong and visible alternative forum.
>
> I also don't think forming joint body between CS and Private Sector
> only becomes good alternative. Unless some good number of governments
> support and/or participate, CS and PS joint is not quite
> "multi-stakeholoder"
> organ in my vew.
>
> I do not mean we should accept the decision - not at all.
> And I am open to different views.
>
> izumi
>

> 2010/12/8 Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>:
> > Comment at the ICANN meeting this evening is that Wolfgang's news about
> the
> > CSTD working group is correct.
> >
> > The only reasonable option for all civil society, private sector and
> > Internet community is simply to not participate.  To immediately write a
> > joint letter stating we will not participate.
> >
> > Adam

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society