[governance] enhanced consultations - further inputs

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Dec 7 15:38:03 EST 2010

In message
<75822E125BCB994F8446858C4B19F0D70AC125B42E at SUEX07-MBX-04.ad.syr.edu>,
at 13:14:07 on Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
writes

>> And does "one" prefer that? In any case, I was thinking more about
>> public policy (political) issues than operational policy matters.

>The key characteristic of internet governance is that one cannot
>separate the two.

I'd start from a position that Public Policy is what's expressed in laws
and treaties, whereas operational policy is founded in standards
documents and contracts (and including Acceptable-Use Policies and Best
Practices). The overlaps starts when someone says "hey - let's have a
law or treaty that says this technical standard or contract term is
compulsory".
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org