[governance] enhanced consultations - further inputs

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:06:16 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Roland Perry
<roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> In message <AANLkTi=m39COcAFW2fGBf=AE27QQYS8f1FC1zXj6ocL7 at mail.gmail.com>,
> at 12:47:48 on Tue, 7 Dec 2010, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> writes
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right:
>>>
>>> "If we can solve the problem of International Multistakeholder Governance
>>> of the Internet (by the Internet) then we can apply it to governing
>>> everything else in the world, and that could be quite some achievement."
>>>
>>> We're making some progress.
>>
>> I see asking for governmental intervention as regressive.
>
> So you want multistakeholder, without but governments?

on the contrary, at the most recent AfriNIC meeting a gave a
presentation about how the 30/30/30/10 mix (with the ITC making up the
10%) was a great recipe for MS policy making.

I just don't want gov'ts to overwhelm the others as they would do in
any Framework Convention.

>>> Advocating a Framework Convention as some of us have been suggesting as a
>>> next step for years...on the 14th would be a - small step - in the right
>>> direction.
>>
>> If we want to create a centralised, largely (or exclusively)
>> intergovernmental  "ITU for the Internet" in charge of routing,
>> content, security, cybercrime, FOI/FOE, IP, CIRs, and the regulation
>> of all online businesses, then yes, it's a step in the right
>> direction.
>>
>> If however, one prefers to keep Internet policy in the hands of the
>> networks that make up the Internet, then no, it's a mis-step.
>
> And does "one" prefer that? In any case, I was thinking more about public
> policy (political) issues than operational policy matters.

Understood, but when one talks about "Global Internet traffic flows"
as public policy, then the two are inseparable (conflated more
likely).

--
Cheers,

McTim