[governance] enhanced cooperation consultations

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 13:00:03 EST 2010

Ian,

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
> Great start to a list Miguel. Although it may be contentious, I would also
> add dealing with illegal and/or offensive content. Consistency, a policy
> framework and a set of principles for appropriate action mechanisms here
> would IMHO be far better than the current ad hoc removal or blocking of
> sites by a variety of players for a variety of dubious reasons.

I think that your idea is predicated on the notion that gov'ts would
give up a certain amount of sovereignty to a Global body empowered to
act on these issues.  I'm not sure, after WSIS, that I see that being
a possibility.

In other words, I'm thinking that "a variety of players for a variety
of dubious reasons" will continue to carry out what they think are
their national interests, without regard to any international
agreements that may be made.

What we have seen this week is that the old saw that "information
wants to be free" is more powerful than even the most powerful
government.

--
Cheers,

McTim