[governance] Re: CoE

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Dec 3 23:45:26 EST 2010

On Friday 03 December 2010 07:36 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> Dear Parminder
>
> you always put COE and OECD in the same basket. This is noty correct. OECD has only high developed industrial nations as members, the CEO has a number of developing nations among its members.

Dear Wolfgang

I agree that in a way this is not correct. OECD membership is based on
economic strength creteria, while CoE's is on a geo-political logic. CoE
certainly has a right to work as a political unit, to the extent it can,
and make policies for its members. I do have a lot of respect for all
the great work CoE has done, and hope one day our region will have the
benefit of such an organisation.

Also agreed that CoE does have a very few members that can be called
developing countries.

However, I put OECD and CoE in the same basket only when, and to the
extent that, these groups seek to work (exclusively, as I will argue
later) on policy issues that can seen as essentially global in their
implication, develop policies in these areas and then expect other
countries to then cede to these policies.

This is especially indefensible when these groups - or their member
countries - seem less than enthusiastic about any truely global
initiative to address the same policy issues. In fact, the members of
these groups are often seen as actively blocking institutional
development at the global level that could possibly, in the future,
address these policy issues ('enhanced cooperation' process being a case
in point). (They opposed setting up an separate 'commission on
information society' as a new WSIS follow up body during WSIS, and, at
that time, even did not want IGF as a policy related body and tried
quite a lot to keep it only as a capacity building body.)

BTW I must say that I am always impressed with your willingness for
keeping a dialogue going on all issues, controversial or not. In fact, I
remember you sought a discussion with me on the CoE issue on the 25th
when we met in Geneva which unfortunately we could not do at that time.
> Furthermore would you accept if I invite you to serve as an external consultant for the planned CEO project on cross border Internet? I would like to see your concrete comments on the proposed "Framework of Committments" (FoC) - which will be probably a declaration of principles - and the planned recommendation on rights, duties and responsibilities of governments in the cross border Internet.

Thank you very much for this kind offer, which, since I know you, I know
is genuine. However, I of course cannot accept it given my above views.
Though getting someone who could contribute about Internet governance
from a global democracy and interests of marginalised people/ groups/
countries point of view is not  a bad idea at all. There are many who
can fit the bill.

Meanwhile, we have seeking some such global declaration of principles
since the WSIS days and have made many contributions, which I will be
happy to re-refer to you. Maybe if I know you are keeping an eye out, we
can increase the number of contributions we make, and their specificity,
towards what we think should constitute a global declaration of
principles :), with, to use your words, recommendations on rights,
duties and responsibilities of governments in the cross border Internet.

BTW, IGC may want to take up your challenge. Come up with what IGC
thinks shd be a global declaration of principles, and CoE is welcome to
look at it and take liberally from it.

Thanks again, parminder