[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Dec 1 09:13:16 EST 2010

Dear people,

Writing in my personal capacity and *not* as a member of CGI.br, I agree
with Avri that the decision making processes within Icann are frequently
questionable, and I defend the right of Bulgaria to choose the IDN ".бг"
for their ccTLD, on the additional grounds that the it is not a case
comparable to the "py" one, notwithstanding the visual acuity of users.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

On 12/01/2010 11:47 AM, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
> On 01.12.10 15:32, McTim wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Avri Doria<avri at acm.org> wrote:
>>> On 1 Dec 2010, at 08:02, McTim wrote:
>>>

>>> ICANN itself didn't make this decision did it, they have a DNS
>>> Stability Panel for that, no?
>>>
>>> And how is that not ICANN making the decision?
>> I was referring to the fact that it wasn't ICANN staff making the
>> decision.
>>

> The process is such, that ICANN staff has made decision that they will
> not continue the Bulgarian application evaluation, because their
> subcontractor, the DNS Stability Panel (who are pretty much anonymous,
> by the way -- very much unacceptable for such task) has indicated there
> MAY be confusion.
>
>>> Just because ICANN outsources part of the work to a few experts does
>>> not remove the responsibility from ICANN and its staffboard.
>>>
>>> But one of the huge deficiencies in the new TLD processes, both g and
>>> cc fast track, is that there is no appeal from some of these
>>> outsourced entities. But by ICANN process every decisions is
>>> eventually approved by the Board, so at the end of the day, one can
>>> probably ask for reconsideration once the Board approves or denies
>>> something it shouldn't.
>> It would have to be a pretty compelling argument to make the Board
>> reverse the DNS Stability Panel.
>>
>> I don't see it in this case, but could be wrong.
>>
> This issue ceased to be technical, at the moment when the ICANN staff
> has decided to act this way. The issue with the Bulgarian application is
> already pretty much political and is getting more and more attention,
> because the approach is simply wrong (this merits separate discussion,
> in fact, related to the Internet Governance issues).
>
> Even more absurd is that, the ICANN board has never ever made their
> opinion on this case public. There is no decision of the ICANN board on
> this case, so there is no formal grounds for appeal.
>
> It is expected that the applicant for the Bulgarian IDN, which happens
> to be the Bulgarian Government will give up. This makes things even more
> political in very undesirable for ICANN ways. By the way, the Bulgarian
> Government was almost successfully confused to think they are the party
> doing wrong, but consultation with various parties and repeated public
> pools indicated this is not the case.
>
> Daniel

Carlos A. Afonso
new/nuevo/novo e-mail: ca at cafonso.ca