[governance] Outcome, Messages etc.

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sat Aug 21 13:01:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

I promised Parminder a longer email on a suggested policy approach; I will jump in here.

First I agree that the IGC is free to define whatever it wants. What the IGF makes of it if anything is a separate issue.  But why exactly civil societyin particular should be fearful of IGF ever reaching a point at which some conclusions were drawn from some conversations or other actions there - never made a lot of sense to me.   As my past actions have shown; but let's leave that alone for now.

Instead let's - define the open Internet.

Which everyone claims to be for, so it should be an easy sell right.

(tactical aside: by slightly changing the subject from 'Network Neutrality' which cannot come unbound from the legal and regulatory precedents around the term, we have a clearer field of action. Meaning we can say open internet is really what network neutrality means, but without having to argue over specific debates like the FCC's dilemma of redefining an information service as a telecommunication service - by decree of 5 commissioners, after 50 years of regulatory proceedings and court cases on what is a telecom versus what is an information service (for reference: FCC Computer Inquiries I, II, III IV - and beyond!) (Last note: Good luck with that Chairman Genachowski, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in court for the rest of your term in office, hanging with AT&T, and Verizon, and now your old pal Google sitting with their new pals.)

But on other hand if we are defining what 'open Internet' means, great, we can do that. And remember everyone claims to be in favor already, so what could be wrong with providing some clarity?

The fact that 'open Internet' crosses public and private networks and uses non-proprietary - and proprietary - protocols and technologies - isn't really the issue we all agree right. There is by now broad public interest in the functioning of this open Internet, no controversy there either.

So to amend Parminder's suggested approach:

1st high-level policy principles

2nd a definition of open Internet

3rd service level expectations

4th technical specs

Simple right? ; )

1) POLICY PRINCIPLES
OPEN
UNIVERSAL
FLEXIBLE
NO DISCRIMINATION BETWEEN WIRELINE AND WIRELESS
Those are lifted  from the Caribbean Internet Governance Framework developed a few years back and approved at Ministerial level with CTU, ICANN, ITU, CARICOM, ECTEL etc participation- and inspired partially by our 'Gordian Knot' book calling for what we called at the time 'open communication infrastructure.'
TRANSPARENCY - probably should be there as well, we probably underplayed that way back then.

2) Open Internet is....ok here's the tricky part. Get this right in a few words and we can set an agenda.  I suggest something like 'The open Internet offers open, universal and flexible access without discrimination between wireline and wireless.'  Ok, we can make it shorter: 'The open Internet offers open, universal and flexible non-discriminatory access.'

3) I defer to Karl to insert a suggested baseline set of service level parameters and

4) technical specifications for open Internet access.

So that's my suggested approach....or we can just become another player in the Net Neutrality debate, one unlikely to be heard over the noise coming out of Washington, Brussels, Google, Verizon, etc...again, good luck with that.

Lee