[governance] Outcome, Messages etc.

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Aug 21 09:41:08 EDT 2010

>NN may boil down to terms and provision
>of a basic (and affordable) internet access for the public. I'd
>encourage you and others to develop as a comprehensive list of
>requirements you may think of.

I agree, Mawaki.

Just to set the ball rolling, I would suggest two simple points.

Any telecom provider will provide the public Internet

1. at the same cost (or less) than any other IP based service provided by it

2. at the same (or better) QoS (quality of service) as any other IP
service provided by it (though universally agreed differentiations of
QoS between 'types' of applications - like video, voice etc may be
allowed). VPNs can be exempt from this conditions.

Point 2, which I think will be more contested, is similar to the
principal 3 of Norway's NN agreement which is enclosed.

    Principle 3
    Internet users are entitled to an Internet connection that is free
    of discrimination
    with regard to type of application, service or content or based on
    sender or
    receiver address.
    ? This means that there shall be no discrimination among individual
    data streams that
    use the basic Internet service.
    ? But it does not mean that the principle precludes traffic
    management efforts on an
    operator's own network to block activities that harm the network,
    comply with orders
    from the authorities, ensure the quality of service for specific
    applications that require
    this, deal with special situations of temporary network overload or
    prioritise traffic on
    an individual user's connection according to the user's wishes.

(ends)

In fact why should we, as the IGC, not adopt a simplified version of the
Norway's NN agreement and present it at the IGF, expressing concern
about the creeping encroachment on NN principle vis a vis the mobile
Internet. Does anyone fnd anything wrong with the Norway's NN agreement.

Parminder