[governance] CS speaker suggestions for the opening and closing

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Aug 20 05:23:19 EDT 2010

Hi

Just a small suggestion—with whether and in what form the IGF will be renewed up in the air and a lot of back channel politics in intergovernmental and UN circles taking place, it would be desirable for CS interventions in the opening and closing sessions to be fully sensitive to what's going on and calibrated accordingly.  Presumably it would be a bad idea to adopt a negative tone and directly take on the actors who are pushing for a more intergovernmental and/or NY-based configuration. But the case for retaining the core features we favor could be made in a positive manner that nevertheless effectively responds to the arguments for "improvements."  Given the stakes at this particular juncture, we should be somewhat strategic about how we use these opportunities and perhaps even coordinate a bit on the message.  This relates to selecting nominees as well—consider the panels they'll be on, the kinds of people and discussions (texts and subtexts) that will be involved, and optimize to these parameters.

Best,

Bill