[governance] multistakeholderism

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Aug 19 19:25:25 EDT 2010

At 05:05 19/08/2010, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>I agree that civil society must promote the adoption of a framework
>for further democratising global governance (for which
>"multistakeholderism" is just a convenient and slightly inaccurate
>shorthand), beyond the Internet governance regime, in which it is
>really just a test-bed.

By the way, I would be interested in having a clear definition of
what is the "civil society" you people refer to. The various
definitions and understandings I read around and in Wikipedia are
diverse and do not seem necessarily adequate; or you should organize
and show yourselves in a very different way.

For example, if one picks the main definition given by Wikipedia,
this includes: organizations such as registered charities,
development non-governmental organizations, community groups, women's
organizations, faith-based organizations, professional associations,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_union>trade unions, self-help
groups, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_movement>social
movements, business associations, coalitions and advocacy groups.

1. who on this list is representing an organization?
2. which organizations are in this coalition?

I also have a major problem with this definition: where is the
political control by the citizens, i.e. the political parties? They
can hardly be associated to Governements they may oppose. Yet, their
control of the network adminance is crucial since one builds there
the terms of the possible policy for the years and decades to come.

When I was once a candidate to the ICANN BoD on behalf the GA, I used
that capacity to try to federate some Consumer organizations. There
was some interest on their side, but none on the GA and on the ICANN side.

jfc