[governance] Ism or not Ism ?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 17 09:10:56 EDT 2010

Bertrand,

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 05:49 PM, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Avri has triggered an interesting thread that is a recurring
> discussion among us.
>
> As a general input, I sense that there is strong reluctance towards
> the expression multistakeholderism and apparently less regarding
> other, like multistakeholder processes, multistakeholder model or
> multistakeholder approach.
>
> I'd like to understand a bit better the rationale. Is it because the
> use of "ism" seems to imply a sort of achieved model, a general
> theory, or a movement ? Let's leave aside for the moment the rest of
> the discussion on the value (or dangers) of the MS approach to
> understand better what people feel is behind the use of an "ism"
> termination.

My main problem with the ism is as follows. 'Multistakeholder
participation' has for long been a valid concept in democratic practice,
especially in terms of gathering perspectives around specialized issues
( and  generally not so much in deciding larger/ broader/ overall public
interest issues where 'public interest' actors are mostly engaged)), and
works clearly within, and in subordination to, traditional
(representative) democratic institution and political processes.

Multistakeholderism, however, seems to be a term which has taken hold
largely at the global policy level, where there is admittedly a huge
political vacuum, and whereby, and Avri expressly says it,
multistakeholderism is considered not as just a process leading to, or
inputting into, policy making, but as a process of policy making itself
(or, as I like to put, of 'not making policy').

In that sense, it seeks to do away with any need for moving towards
democratic political processes at the global level as well (and this has
manifested at the global IG scene) which are based on equality of people
and of groups of people within constitutional frameworks. What is
clearly different *in any such democratic global process/ institution*
vis a vis multistakeholderism is that in the former* only natural human
beings and their natural collectives are recognized entities with rights
and equality, and legal entities like corporates are not accepted to be
at the same level. MSism however tends to do that. This is the single
biggest issue with MSism,* and to go any further with this discussion,
it is my sincere opinion, that we need to focus on this single issue.
You solve this issue for me, I will accept MSism :).

However, in my numerous discussion on MSism, those who uphold MSism
generally tend to completely bypass/ ignore/ minimize this issue, which
for me, and most others having suspicions about MSism, is THE central
issue. This especially so because when we look at the global scene the
strongest power shifts taking place today are towards mega-corps, who
seen to further benefit the most from MSism.

Thanks

Parminder