[governance] Net neutrality: Definitions

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 06:08:03 EDT 2010

Just a few general points to chime in :

On *Net Neutrality* : one of the outcomes I took from the discussions in the
2010 EuroDIG (the european IGF in Madrid) is that the question could be
reframed around : "*limitations to traffic management*". It combines the
recognition that there is legitimate traffic management by operators (for
instance to ensure QoS for VoIP or streaming video) but that there could be
limitations to it, in order to preserve for instance principles of
non-discrimination, transparency, enabling innovation, etc...

On the notion of *Public Internet* : in many respects, the global Internet
could be qualified as a "*common pool resource*" as defined in the seminal
work of Elinor Ostrom (nobel Prize in Economics 2009). The framework for the
collective governance of such a CPR is the multi-stakeholder model we are
trying to establish (cf. the other thread on this list).

Additionally, in a joint initiative with the Netherlands regarding Freedom
of Expression on the Internet, France is suggesting to explore international
arrangements that could give the Internet a *legal status analogous to what
is used for international canals, waterways or straits* : right of free
harmless transit, responsibility of the upstream actors (including
governments) towards downstream actors, etc... The Council of Europe is
working on similar paths with a group on trans-border issues regarding the
Internet. These are very early thoughts and analogies only go so far, but it
is worth exploring. Comments welcome.

Best

Bertrand

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:

>  This discussion will be productive. Do we have any proposed definitions
> as starting points:
>
> Internet:
>
> Public Internet:
>
> Internet as a public good:
>
> Net Neutrality:
>

> On 8/14/2010 3:28 AM, parminder wrote:
>

> When the issues of managed services and a tiered interent are so current,
> it is useful to look at possible definitions of what constitutes a public
> Internet, or well what constitutes an Internet. (Google has used the term
> non-Internet services for managed services). Obviously, it is important to
> know what is Internet before we pursue IG.
>
> Is it possible to work on some of these issues in the IGC?

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et Européennes/ French Ministry of Foreign
and European Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")