[governance] multistakeholderism

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 16 23:52:30 EDT 2010

> I really do not see big differences between ... It is a little bit
> playing with words

This comes perilously close to demeaning the original author.  That
author most likely did not see his carefully thought-out propositions
to be 'playing with words'...  Such is not convivial for the quality
exchange we have seen on this list of late.  Instead, if we take care
to respect the view we do not share, then our contrary reasons and
evidence may help to find even more enlightened synthesis.

MS'ism - as practiced in Internet Governance - has been a means to try
and insert more viewpoints into United Nations processes.  Whether
that will 'work' is still unclear.  Power, as held by the states, is
the starting point.  Will they cede and share some power?  That is the
core question.  Certainly, MS'ism is what has given the likes of CS
some seat at the table.  Indeed, that is to be treasured.  Has it also
created the possibility for co-opting CS, by picking and choosing
which CS voices are chosen, from amid the cacophony?  Has CS (or for
that matter the other 'estate') been given 'equal time'?

There is a backdrop against which this has occurred.  On that much
larger canvas, there are the seemingly ever-present pressures for
expansion, finally now toward what some would characterize as a global
polity.  In a recent post, if I remember, the Internet has been dubbed
a new form of [effectively global] government.  Others have sought new
forms of democratized governance, globally, seeing a failure of states
per se and of the elected and representative forms of government so
far in place.

As far as I can see, the Internet is a form of communication.  But
people govern - communications tools, such as the Internet, can be
turned to one or the other means, means often with very different end
effects.  (Much) more than that, there is a dearth of thoughtfully-
worked out detail for what will replace representative forms of
governance.

This larger canvas can situate the present subject:  MS'ism might
indeed be a 'step along the way.'  But what are further steps,
realistically? and at some (at least intermediate) end points, what
forms of governance, concretely? reliably worked out?

Heading that direction could be one goal of quality exchange, such as
here.

David
     governance at lists.cpsr.org