[governance] multistakeholderism

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:33:49 EDT 2010

On 8/16/10, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2010, at 13:06, Paul Lehto wrote:
>
>> P.S. Attacking the people or 'polity' as uninformed
>
> i do not attack them.
> i merely say we are responsible for outreach and capacity building.

But you then proceed to sarcastically attack their wisdom:

>> The truth is that the people know when the shoe fits,
>
> yep and that is why the people always discriminate against the others.
>
> - gay marriage does not fit
> - mosques too close sacred ground do not fit
> - equal protection for undocumented immigrant children does not fit
> - turkish immigrants do not fit
> - gay people do not fit and thus merit imprisonment and execution
> yep, the people always know what does not fit!

Right here is why the principle that one's rights END where another's
BEGIN is so important:  The "shoe fitting" metaphor applies with force
when, as I've said in recent prior posts, ones own rights are
"negatively impacted".  The correct person to judge if the shoe fits
is the one being forced to wear the shoes - such as the Turkish
immigrants and other examples you give.

As I said before (and it matters not whether the charge is true or
not) the description of people or "the people" as dumb or uninformed
is the foundation, almost the entire foundation, of all non-democratic
or autocratic forms of government.  It is also the core of the
stereotypes always used to justify slavery, for that matter.  Dumb,
ignorant, lazy, etc., and "therefore needs a smart master with a whip
to be productive."

Paul Lehto, J.D.
P.S. My personal view on "uninformed" allegations is that people rise
to the occasion when they are BOTH of the belief that their one vote
won't be ignored AND they can find or are given a fair mix of
information and a sense of the importance of the issue.  Notice that
these conditions are not usually met and, more sadly, there's few or
no attempts by governments i'm familiar with to meet the conditions.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1
lehto.paul at gmail.com