[governance] Net neutrality on mobiles

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 12:33:31 EDT 2010

Dear Parminder and everyone,
I am very conscious of the fact that I am NOT a techie, so please forgive me
if I am stating the obvious/making a fool of myself or both. As far as I am
concerned "network neutrality" speaks to the management of the hardware,
software and traffic of the internet to preserve interoperability and open
equitable access

> ... a civil society advocacy group perspective which needs to
> probe the deeper policy issues and come up with responses that serve
> the progressive cause and advoacte them strongly on behalf of those who
> cannot be present in these forums but whose lives are nonetheless
> greatly affected by these developments.
>

> In any case, at least in my view, Internet is not just a market place, it
> is a social space for our non-commerical social interactions, it is a public
> media and a public sphere, it is a space for exercising citizenship. Perhaps
> without discussions on these deeper issues and essential nature of the
> Internet and what we take it to be, discussions on a 'simple act' of a free
> Internet based service wont go anywhere.

I was prodded into replying by what Parminder has to say quoted above. This
aspect of the Internet is deeply important to me. For some time I have been
alarmed at and thinking about a predatory behaviour online which I describe
to myself as "webherding". Subsequently I discovered that other people call
the same phenomenon "social engineering" which sounds almost respectable :-)

Herding behaviour is something that man has learned to make use of to his
benefit - but at the same time sharks do it, wolves do it, very much to the
detriment of that which is herded. When herded, creatures lose their
individuality, and the possibility of innovation, the possibility of choice.
A world is created which is the diametric opposite of the type of world the
Internet is sold to us as being.

Somehow our perception of the world has been shifted to a focus where
business ethics have become a sort of norm - if it is good business then it
is also generally good and should not be questioned.

Deirdre

> Parminder
>
>  Innovation tumbles over innovation, that's the law.
>
> Carlton

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979