[governance] Reposting Workshop 3: Transnational enforcement

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:09:49 EDT 2010

Check out this Article

http://en.rsf.org/etats-unis-cia-destruction-of-interrogation-19-04-2010,37079.html
accessed on 21st April, 2010

"CIA destruction of interrogation videos threats US credibility on human rights

It emerged on 15 April from emails released by the CIA under the
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) that the agency’s then director,
Porter J. Goss, approved the 2005 decision by the head of its
clandestine service, José A. Rodriguez, to destroy dozens of
videotapes of brutal interrogations carried out on two detainees in
Thailand in 2002 because of concern that they would expose the CIA to
prosecution.

“This is like a scene from a bad movie that keeps on being replayed,”
Reporters Without Borders said. “The destruction of these videos is a
major violation of the freedom of information of American citizens and
the sovereign principle of the First Amendment.”

The press freedom organisation added: “It is now clear that the CIA
systematically tried to hide from the public the illegal interrogation
techniques used during the previous administration. How many more
cases of destroyed videos will we discover?”

The request for documents relating to mistreatment and torture in the
CIA’s secret prisons was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union
under the FOIA in 2003. On 2 March 2009, the federal authorities
acknowledged that 92 video recordings of interrogations were destroyed
in 2005. This is the second revelation of its kind.

According to The New York Times, quoting from the released emails, the
CIA’s director “laughed” when Rodriguez offered to “take the heat” for
the destruction of the videos and replied that he, Goss, would be the
one who took the heat.

We think it is repulsive to “take the heat” when the credibility of
the United States as regards human rights is at stake and we reiterate
the request we made in March of last year for the new Obama
administration to order a special investigation into this infringement
of the American people’s constitutional rights and to punish those who
are responsible.

US society cannot dispense with an investigation into the serious
abuses that were committed in the name of the “war on terrorism.” The
White House’s attempts to block requests for information are
counter-productive. Since 2003, the US authorities have released more
than 100,000 pages of documents about the mistreatment of detainees by
US soldiers. They show that many of them were tortured and that the
techniques used reached a high level of cruelty under the Bush
administration.

The NGO Judicial Watch filed a similar request on 15 May 2009 for CIA
documents relating to briefings about “enhanced interrogation
techniques” that were given to US House speaker Nancy Pelosi and her
senior aide, Michael Sheehy. The government was supposed to release
them by 16 April 2010 but it has asked for more time".

© AFP

Salanieta Tudrau Tamanikaiwaimaro
P.O.Box 17862
Suva