[governance] Workshop proposals for Vilnius

Natasha Primo natasha at apc.org
Thu Apr 15 00:37:49 EDT 2010

I really like and support this suggestion of a session focussed on IP
and copyright.  Parminder, count me in to help...

On 05 Apr 2010, at 3:09 PM, Parminder wrote:

> I suggest that we get into deeper IP and Internet debates, which
> represent some of the most hotly contested issues today, and in
> which area a lot of policy work is going on (ACTA for instance)
>
> Can we hold a workshop on ' Transnational enforcement of a new
> information order – Issues of rights and democracy'. (tentative title)
>
> Basically we will discuss issues that have come up around ACTA (for
> instance see the latest posting on IP watch at http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/?p=10061
>   )  as the main focus. However some other issues may also come up -
> like Google - China stand-off, Google's appeal to US gov to consider
> global information flows as a trade issue and use trade related
> enforcements in this area, Google and others cutting off or limiting
> their services to countries on US's trade sanctions list (trade
> embargo issues and IG is mentioned in the Vilnius  program
> document), non availability of major online payment systems in
> countries like Pakistan etc .....
>
> The attempt here is to move beyond the focus on governance of the
> basic technical/ logical  infrastructure  (ICANN etc) also to the
> governance of the emerging global information infrastructure. (At a
> still different level, though connected, is the governance of the
> social interactions/ networking infrastructure, but that is not
> something this workshop will get into)
>
> The above is just illustrative of the proposed scope of the
> workshop. Will try and put up a short write up for it separately.
> Parminder
>

> Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>>
>> On 24/03/2010, at 8:57 PM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>>

>>> Jeremy: Kindly propose an improved language to the workshop proposal
>>> so that IGC can collaboratively develop it into a very fruitful
>>> discourse.
>>>
>> Sorry for letting this slide for a while; I've been away.  Anyway,
>> there is very little I would change in Fouad's workshop proposal,
>> but here are the two workshop proposals that are currently on the
>> table for discussion, the second one now fleshed out a bit.  Please
>> provide any comments on these so that we can submit them both for
>> the MAG's consideration by the 15th.
>>
>> WORKSHOP 1
>> ==========
>>
>> Title: Revolutionary Internet Governance Ideas that can help change
>> the Developing World
>>
>> Objective:
>> A workshop that provides stakeholders the opportunity to share
>> positive ideas for stimulating socio-economic change in the
>> developing world utilizing the Internet. This will be a venue for
>> both developed and developing world participants. An example may be
>> the ideas presented by Tim Berners-Lee at TED for Opening Data to
>> the world that helped in providing concrete relief information on
>> the ground during the Haiti earthquake crisis. Another idea may be
>> Google's mapping of the Sudan crisis.
>>
>> With the participation of all stakeholders, including youth, the
> [...]

\//\\//\/
Natasha Primo
National ICT Policy Advocacy Initiative
Association for Progressive Communications
Johannesburg, South Africa
Tel/Fax: +27118372122
Skype/Yahoo: natashaprimo