[governance] Project Universal subtitles

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 20:05:30 EDT 2010

A very interesting project has been launched: Universal Subtitles (
http://blog.universalsubtitles.org/) Please advertise it and help to develop
this idea.
The project is supported by Mozilla Drumbeat (http://www.drumbeat.org/)

Subtitles and Captions for Every Video on the Web

*Here’s the problem:* web video is beginning to rival television, but there
isn’t a good open resource for subtitling. *Here’s our mission:* we’re
trying to make captioning, subtitling, and translating video publicly
accessible in a way that’s free and open, just like the Web.

*Our approach:*

   - Make a simple and ubiquitous way to request, create, and translate
   subtitles for any video
   - Work with others to define open protocols so that whenever subtitles
   for a video exist, any website or video player will be able to retrieve them
   - Create a community space for people who subtitle video, to encourage
   contributions and facilitate collaboration

*Tools we’re building*

*1) Subtitle Widget:* We’re developing an incredibly user friendly interface
for adding captions to almost any video on the web (without the hassle of
re-transcoding or re-uploading). We’ll be launching a demo very soon, but
here’s a sneak peek:
[...]

*2) Universal Subtitles Protocol:* A new open standard that will allow
clients such as Firefox extensions, desktop video players, websites, or
browsers to look up and download matching subtitles from a whitelist of
subtitle databases when they play video.

*3) Collaborative Subtitling Site: *An online community for collaboratively
subtitling and translating the world’s videos (like a Wikipedia for
subtitles).  The site will have special tools for versioning, incentives for
different types of collaboration, and all subtitles created here will be
available in any context via our open protocol.  The site will exist to
encourage dynamics like:

   - Formation of teams for subtitling a program, or a topic.
   - Tracking which subtitling or translation tasks are the most requested,
   and mobilizing volunteers.
   - Volunteers recruiting their friends for help transcribing or
   translating a video.
   - Splitting large tasks into smaller parts

--
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center of Technology and Society