[governance] Reposting Workshop 1: Revolutionary Internet

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 19:54:26 EDT 2010

Hi All,

Apologies for coming back into this discussion despite the few
questions asked earlier. I wanted our community members to stimulate
ideas and the best description and opportunities possible. As this is
an idea and a proposal, all are free to edit and their ideas to the
discussion.

I believe that I might have actually tested some of the IG related
ideas and issues within the past few days with reference to our
"PayPal Authorize Pakistan Now! Campaign" housed on Facebook:
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/266093 that has grown into 5500 plus
members triggering the debate across hundreds of posts in the
Pakistani Internet world that resulted in the government, private
sector and civil society joining hands to solve this issue together
and finally made contact with PayPal and discussions are under way!

The revolutionary idea here was to develop an online campaign with
available tools, make the Pakistani knowledge workers and involving
masses aware of this issue, create dialogues  while engaging the
citizens to explore what they need to evolve the local and global
knowledge economy participation opportunities and change society's
socio-economic conditions.

This is one of its kind debates where a multistakeholder model led by
an open, inclusive and collaborative space resulted in a considerable
campaign and got everyone involved, an issue identified, efforts and
synergies combined and the issue pursued towards solution. An IG issue
that created a revolutionary approach to solving a long-time pending
issue and this is just the beginning. Here are some examples:

Citizen Dialogues on the PayPal issue in Pakistan:
http://www.google.com.pk/search?hl=en&q=paypal+pakistan&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=o&oq=

PayPal in Pakistan – Looks Possible, but it May Take Time!
http://propakistani.pk/2010/04/14/paypal-in-pakistan/

Do We Need Pay Pal In Pakistan?
http://www.codeweek.pk/2010/04/pay-pal-in-pakistan/

Another relevant example is that IGF MAG Member Barrister Zahid Jamil
from the private sector is also very active on this issue and here is
a live example of how multistakeholders are creating dialogues online
and offline:

IGF MAG Member Barrister Zahid Jamil participating in the CIO PayPal Roundtable:
http://ciopakistan.com/2010/04/paypal-unwired-coffee-connexions/

I have a well tested example in this case, I have proof online:
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/266093 and all this started with a
simple blog post: http://internetsgovernance.blogspot.com/

You are all free to adjust the text and add appropriate ideas to its
description and I would request IGC to own this since this has been
generated for IGC led IGF workhops!

---- Best

Fouad Bajwa

     governance at lists.cpsr.org