[governance] Reposting Workshop 1: Revolutionary Internet

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Apr 14 12:26:43 EDT 2010

All very cool; and I notice they started an innovation program last year. Which doesn't target emergency communications.

They do have: ICT Global Connectivity Database – creating a secure electronic repository for connectivity information to enable better decision-making and knowledge management.

For emergencies the partnered relief agencies and private sector do:

NetHope has worked on Emergency Relief Services with its members and the broader humanitarian sector in the following ways since 2003:

      Interagency coordination of ICT assessments and related response
    *

      Consolidation of ICT related appeals to the private sector
    *

      Knowledge sharing and development of ICT related hardware and software solutions to enable better communication
    *

      Enhance preparedness for emergencies in regions likely to be affected by emergencies through pre-deployment of equipment and training

Maybe I'm missing something but there's a multistakeholder group missing from the website...oh yeah, governments.  And hence, just maybe, governance.

Still, great org, cool to have at a workshop. I'm sure they'd have suggestions about what works and doesn;t work for them  and where they see need for innovation or revolutionary ideas.

Lee