[governance] Reposting Workshop 1: Revolutionary Internet

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Apr 14 12:23:52 EDT 2010

In message
<93F4C2F3D19A03439EAC16D47C591DDE015B4E8D0F at suex07-mbx-08.ad.syr.edu>,
at 11:52:28 on Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu>
writes
>The Internet governance challenges of emergency communications has
>been studied for at least 15 years; I am unaware of a solution.

One suggestion which has some mileage, and can be done inside one
jurisdiction, is for a Government to pass a law saying you can't sue a
company for diverting resources to an emergency situation, and thereby
breaching his supply contract with you.

A trivial example: "Those satellite phones you ordered for your park
rangers, sorry the batch we were about to send you, someone else paid us
to jump the queue and they've gone to an earthquake zone instead".
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org