[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Apr 14 07:44:04 EDT 2010

McTim wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> apologies, this languished in my drafts folder until now...
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
>> OK, McTim, let us compare, if you will.
>>
>> ICANN is a non-profit which is more than 80% funded by a gTLD vendor
>

> and here I thought ICANN was largely funded by the .25 USD per domain
> fee..silly me.  Thanks for setting me straight on this, I'll get right
> on to Verisign and see if they want to donate to me, since they give
> so freely to ICANN.

Not funny... the fact remains, Verisign has the most leverage in ICANN
funding and in ICANN policies -- this is not like the happy end of a
brothers Grimm tale in which a rich good samaritan donates money, sits
back and enjoys. Or like a tax in which the tax payer has no leverage
whatsoever on the tax policies.

>> which directly influences ICANN's gTLD policies -- in practice a
>> brokerage house of the big gTLD business.
>
> That's the perception among many.  However, I didn't see that at ICANN 37.

You do not *see* it in events, McTim. It is the whole process.

> Most of the complexity of the
>> current ICANN derives from being the central place where the different
>> commercial interests of registries, registrars and other commercial
>> interests try to leverage gTLD governance to suit each one's commercial
>> aims. Efforts by non-commercial sectors to participate and acquire more
>> leverage in the decision-making process are frequently thwarted or
>> outrightly sabotaged by mechanisms embedded in the ICANN structure
>> (including a frequently pro-business atitude of staff itself).
>>
>> CGI.br is a not a non-profit organization
>
> but is it CS?
>
> -- it is a pluralist
>> commission created with the mandate of governing .br names and
>> allocation of IP numbers within Brazil.

As I said, it is a multistakeholder commission.

>> CGI.br oversees the
>> implementation of its policies through a non-profit organization
>> (NIC.br) which guarantees that names and numbers are distributed as a
>> non-profit operation, establishing the .br names as the identity of
>> Brazil on the Internet and an asset of the commons. NIC.br manages two
>> million .br domains, IP distribution,
>
> Does NIC.br actually sub-allocate it's own allocations or just
> evaluate LIR applications and pass them on to LACNIC? Can LIRs in BR
> go to LACNIC directly or is that not allowed under Brazilian law?

Like Japan and Mexico, Brazil has a centralized service for IP
distribution. It is not Brazilian law, it is a CGI.br policy. The
Brazilian decree just delegates to CGI.br the task of managing IP
numbers and the .br ccTLD. How IP numbers are distributed is not really
relevant to our specific discussion here.

> and several research and support
>> projects (such as CERT.br, the IXP network, the research center CETIC.br
>> among others), and runs its own entire technical facilities, as well as
>> being the operations center of LACNIC -- all this with less than 20% of
>> the ICANN budget, and is completely self-sufficient, not depending on
>> any commercial business to survive.
>
> And where does the money come from if not from leasing Internet
> resources to (mostly) commercial entities?

The "little" difference is that there are no business intermediaries in
the transaction seeking to make the most money out of it.

>> There are CSs and there are CSs...
>
> Whois to say which is which?

But I would not believe you would think they are not quite different on
several counts.

--

Carlos A. Afonso
CGI.br (www.cgi.br)