[governance] Workshop Proposal for Vilnius - City-TLDs: Impact, Best Practices, Governance

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sun Apr 11 13:42:05 EDT 2010

Olivier,

The DNS was developed within a scope that saw surfboards, suburbia, and California sunshine as the desired future. Today, it's cities (or perhaps more accurately, urban areas) that are ascendant. Two points in that regard: U.N. stats indicate more than half of us now live in cities with the prediction of 66% by 2050; and planetary sustainability seems to lean toward the comparative efficiency of cities.

But yes, you are absolutely correct, name conflicts could be contentious in most instances and will be in some. However, I'd think the various Springfield's could support a disambiguation page, and perhaps index.paris could have a "Not looking for Paris France?" button. (For fun,  take this "One Name, Many Places" trivia quiz - http://www.funtrivia.com/submitquiz.cfm?quiz=35186 - I got a 5 of 10.)

But having spent decades addressing civic issues here in New York City, it's quite clear that the local communication and administrative benefits offered by a thoughtfully developed DNS far outweigh contention tension. However, in most instances cities remain unaware of the DNS' utility beyond tourism and are not aware of its potential in developments like the Internet of Things, the semantic web, and using the DNS to reduce government redundancies as a force for regional consolidation (I'm advocating for reserving Hoboken.nyc).

Olivier, as you point out, contention is a difficult issue, but let's find a way to bring the opportunities to light and weight the options in a public forum. Moving cities to a place where they recognize their common interest in developing the DNS is the City-TLD Workshop's goal, and the Vilnius IGF provides the opportunity to begin a long overdue multi-stakeholder policy dialogue. I hope to see you there.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt