[governance] US Court Rules against FCC in 'Net Neutrality' Case

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Apr 8 11:37:33 EDT 2010

Next stop theoretically could be Supreme Court for FCC - but I doubt it.  They don't really have grounds for appeal.

Hate to say it, but this was obvious based on law, many could see this coming miles away.

More likely scenarios:

FCC redefines Internet on its own under 96 Telecom Act as telecoms and hence has authority for net neutrality rules, through current net neutrality rulemaking (not likely)

Congress gets in on act, lots of hearings and draft bills, nothing passes, FCC in limbo as to its authority (likely).

Which means...US domestic governance &/or regulation of Internet, broadband, etc, just got murkier.

Except for broadband wireless, where FCC has clear authority over spectrum....which happens to be the main game these days.