[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Apr 6 10:46:31 EDT 2010

OK, McTim, let us compare, if you will.

ICANN is a non-profit which is more than 80% funded by a gTLD vendor
which directly influences ICANN's gTLD policies -- in practice a
brokerage house of the big gTLD business. Most of the complexity of the
current ICANN derives from being the central place where the different
commercial interests of registries, registrars and other commercial
interests try to leverage gTLD governance to suit each one's commercial
aims. Efforts by non-commercial sectors to participate and acquire more
leverage in the decision-making process are frequently thwarted or
outrightly sabotaged by mechanisms embedded in the ICANN structure
(including a frequently pro-business atitude of staff itself).

CGI.br is a not a non-profit organization -- it is a pluralist
commission created with the mandate of governing .br names and
allocation of IP numbers within Brazil. CGI.br oversees the
implementation of its policies through a non-profit organization
(NIC.br) which guarantees that names and numbers are distributed as a
non-profit operation, establishing the .br names as the identity of
Brazil on the Internet and an asset of the commons. NIC.br manages two
million .br domains, IP distribution, and several research and support
projects (such as CERT.br, the IXP network, the research center CETIC.br
among others), and runs its own entire technical facilities, as well as
being the operations center of LACNIC -- all this with less than 20% of
the ICANN budget, and is completely self-sufficient, not depending on
any commercial business to survive.

There are CSs and there are CSs...

--c.a.

--