[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 10:00:17 EDT 2010

I think this discussion goes back to the much earlier discussion and
distinction between CS as a "definitional category" i.e. defined by certain
attributes such as "not-for-profit" and "non-governmental: (the particular
list varies from categorical framework to categorical framework so you can
pretty much take your pick here); or CS as a "movement" based on a
commitment to certain norms and values (again you take your pick but the
core values of promoting the interests and perspectives of the third sector
and particularly the disadvantaged is probably non-negotiable).

Clearly some in this group see CS as the former while others see it as the
latter.  Through some very deft handling by consecutive coordinators and
some willingness to live and let live by the various protagonists the IGC
has managed to survive even in this curious bipolar state.

Not necessarily my first choice, but as Churchill said of democracy...