[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 09:11:02 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> McTim
> This is sleazy.

It's just full disclosure, I was merely curious as to your motivation.

>I am not "under contract to ITU." I wrote a research report for them on ip address markets during a 3 month period. The contract ended a year ago. The report obviously told them something they did not want to hear.

At least not exactly what some wanted to hear.

> You can't have it both ways - if Mueller is ITU's tool why is he not advocating nationalized internet ip registries? Which is what they obviously want? Why isn't the ITU promoting a TABL strucure implemented by the RIRs, which is what the report I did proposed?

Because it's a terrible idea for developing nations probably?

> While we're at it, Roland, are you still under contract to RIPE?

He has made that clear recently and in the past.

>Curran, are you still a paid flunky of ARIN?

I would say no, certainly not a flunky...paid, I would hope so.

>With the implication that you will say and do anything that serves those organization's interests? McTim, let's hear about your consulting contracts and paid speaking gigs with various I* organizations.

I've got none at the moment, altho I am thinking of volunteering for
the AfriNIC NomCom, which might pay my way to a meeting or two.  I
haven't had any since I last disclosed to the list ~18 months ago I
think.  My convictions are my own.

>You get the picture. This is where you're taking the discussion.

Not at all, this is where you took it.  For someone so prickly, you've
got pretty thin skin!

> You've really fallen down several notches in my estimation. Total dishonesty and an attempt to use smear tactics.

I've never been dishonest on this list, and I just wanted to be clear
on motivation, not at all a smear tactic, simple curiousity.

> For the rest of the list, this is an object lesson in the cult mentality that pervades the so-called Itnernet technical community. If you disagree with them about anything, theny won't even consider funding your research on an IG topic.

talk about a smear tactic!

>And if you accept funding from anyone else, you MUST be a paid agent of sinister forces. Catch-22. And oh, it doesn't matter what you say or prove in the reports, they don't read. All that matters is who commissioned it.

Sounds like you have a very big chip on your shoulder about that!

I note that you didn't address my main point, which was the
inconsistency of your arguing for competition on a regional level, but
not at the root.

--
Cheers,

McTim