[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 09:38:28 EDT 2010

Milton,

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
<snip>
> To add icing to the cake, ARIN's Curran agrees with a protectionist trade policy - which would be disastrous if taken very far - because it suits his very short term and narrow agenda of justifying ARIN's centralized control of internet resources.

Sorry to puncture your gas bag yet again, but to be precise, ARIN does
NOT have "centralized control of Internet resources".  Arin does
distribution of Internet number resources in Canada, many Caribbean
and North Atlantic islands, and the United States.  IANA is the root
of Internet resources.

If you truly wanted competition in Internet resources, and the
abolition of centralised registries, then you'd have to argue that the
IANA should have competition in doling out IP addresses at the root
level.

There are natural monopolies in this world, you just have to accept that fact.

BTW, methinks that you might want to (in the interest of full
disclosure) let us know if you are still under contract with the ITU
in re: IP address distribution issues.

--
Cheers,

McTim