[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd World

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Apr 4 11:25:53 EDT 2010

On 4 Apr 2010, at 07:24, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:

> Anyway, right now the recent Obama government's decision to reduce barriers to ethanol imports is meeting severe resistance from US corn farmers. Any similar attempt regarding other crops will have similar reactions, and basically nothing is new on this and nothing will change, remorseful discourses aside. Europe is of course no exception.

just checking because i do not know, what are Brazil's policies regarding the protection of its farmers and industries?

also i think it is easy to condemn other countries for such behavior, but when masses of people are unemployed and homeless, despite the fact that rich manufacturers and agribusiness are raking in the billions, the issue is slightly more complex then US and Europe are bad.  also when the business leaders in the developing world are exploiting their workers and using child labor in many case to enable their capitalists to get rich, were does the motivation come from?

this your country bad, my country good stuff is not going to get us very far - though it does help the owners of our repspective countries a bunch.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org