[governance] so do i owe bill drake a pizza or not?

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Sep 30 13:01:02 EDT 2009

Let's see.  On the one hand we have

1.  IANA contract
2.  VeriSign contract
3.  California law
4.  Entrenched org culture
5.  Entrenched commercial interests
6.  Whatever back channel political deals and assurances were needed
in DC, etc (the administration will probably take heat for it anyway)
7.  etc

On the other hand, we have

1.  NTIA's reviews replaced by non-binding panels.

So instead of each stakeholder grouping and constituency issuing
opinions separately as they do now, some reps will have to find
consensus language, which depending on the composition and procedural
rules could be tough on they key issues.  Someone care to spell out
the argument for how this constitutes a real break in the governance
of names and numbers, rather than a limited, incremental step?   Some
years ago the US and EU came up with the face-saving safe harbor
agreement on privacy protection, and US business pretty much continued
on its merry way.  How different will this be, in terms of outcomes?

That said, given the absence of obviously better alternatives, I agree
with Adam it's not too bad (I'm actually sort of surprised the
administration was able to go this far given the lay of the land
inside the beltway).  But I suspect he's over-optimistic on whether
there will be big fights ahead, as well as opportunities.

On Jeanette's point regarding having to explain decisions, this is
good, but ICANN would presumably argue they do that now.  Might have
been nice to have had a clear commitment to follow procedures akin to
the FCC's to the extent feasible, e.g. with NOIs, NPRMs, decisions,
appeals, etc.

BD

On Sep 30, 2009, at 5:58 PM, Adam Peake wrote:

> At least the review teams aren't populated by current and past board
> members.
>
> And there is room for representatives of the ACs, SOs, with a
> smattering of experts.
>
> DoC keeps an interest the key oversight review team (but not the
> "golden share" I thought they might keep.) A good outcome. More an
> opportunity than a fight ahead.  I think Bill buys :-)
>
> Adam
>

>> On 30 Sep 2009, at 11:21, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mc tim,
>>>
>>> I must have misunderstood. I thought Milton bought pizza if
>>> nothing changed ?
>>>
>>> B.
>>

>> And something did change.
>>
>> Though I am not sure how much there is for Civil society to be
>> cheer about.
>> It is like the old days of WSIS, CS will be beholden to the gov't
>> chair for right of participation.
>>
>> Or, in the long run, other then outward appearance, how significant
>> the change will turn out to be for ICANN processes.
>>
>> a.

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance