[governance] Results of charter amendment vote

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Sep 27 16:09:27 EDT 2009

Danny,

Often in my life I have delayed the start of a meeting because a quorum was
not present, or in order to get a more satisfactory turnout. And indeed I
have noticed that this is common practice. The action here is much the same,
isn't it?

Often during my time as an IGC coordinator we have extended the period for
feedback on a document in order to get more input. My predecessors have done
the same. This helps to get more input and involvement.

And during this voting process we sent out several reminders to people who
had not voted, reminded people many times on list to vote. Yes, we were
trying to gain a quorum so that the members views were explicitly known and
so that as many people as possible would participate.

All of these could be construed to be "gaming the process" if you like. And
all of these are common in an organisation which seeks to involve its
members.

Indeed, I would think that in a case like this the proper course of action
for the co-coordinators was to seek to get as many members as possible to
vote, and to work towards getting up the numbers necessary to constitute a
quorum. I do not believe any of our actions were improper, and as others
have pointed out our actions were designed to get a greater level of
participation rather than skew the vote in either direction.

I hope that explains our actions. I think as co coordinators it was proper
for us to try and avoid a null vote, whatever our personal opinions on the
amendments were and irrespective of whether there were 90% for or 90%
against.

Ian

     governance at lists.cpsr.org