Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann ...

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Mon Sep 21 19:01:24 EDT 2009

Dear John
>> first someone has to figure out if new DNS classes are practical or
>> even fully technically possible as the protocols currently stand.
>>

> The DNS class feature has been unused since the demise of the Chaosnet
> protocols in the 1980s.  The DNS standards still reserve bits for the
> class number, but attempts to use any class other than IN won't work
> because nobody's software has used other classes for over 20 years.

This, I am fully aware of this from the very onset..!!!!.
I am saying this in all my presentations.
Only the dig tool currently implements a query wiht the class field to a
limited
extent that works on current DNS servers.

My point is reactivating this "forgotten parameter"  could be done,
with little conceptual difficulties and a sofware programming effort
that is very small in comparison to the  huge  benefits in all terms :
economics, governance, scientific,
it opens a new dimension.

> ICANN is not my favorite organization but competitive root systems make
namespace /class/ service providers make

> about as much sense as competitive phone number systems.

as much sense as competitive phome companies....

Best

Francis
> R's,
> John
>
> .

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

KNIS http://knis.org
Academic Collaboration / University of Geneva
http://syinf.unige.ch/recherche/cooperation

Mobile France       +33 6 71 91 42 10
       Switzerland  +41 78 927 06 97
       Cameroun    +237 96 55 69 62 ( mostly in July )

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web