AW: [governance] Letter to Rod Beckstrom

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Sep 21 08:16:57 EDT 2009

Milton:
However this problem is solved, it won't be through some corporatist assignment of "roles" to such broad "stakeholder groups" but through mobilized people contending for their rights and creating an emergent transnational legal-political context.

Wolfgang:
In the long run I agree, but we live in a transitional phase (probably the next 50 years). So Co-Governance is the compromise for the time being. It is like the "constiutional monarchy" in the 17th century, a "division of labour" between the king and the parliament. However gradually the power moved from the palace to the parliament and the king in todays monarchy`s (like in Denmark the Queen) has just an symbolic role to play. If "mobilized people" are strong enough (on a transnational or de-nationalized level) probably governments will play just a "symbolic role" and parliaments become a "tourist attrraction" like Londons Buckingham Palace today. But there are sitll some ways to go. Good challenge for the 22nd century!