[governance] Letter to Rod Beckstrom

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Sep 20 17:37:10 EDT 2009

Anja:
Excellent points. Quick and relatively superficial answer due to time constraints: we work for the democratization of ICANN, or rather, the recognition of rights by it (the liberal element) and the improvement of representation (the democratic element). I believe that we attack this problem at the sectoral level only - in Internet governance exclusively. Any attempt to replace or eliminate states comprehensively would be precipitous and dangerous for the reasons you cite. I think the info-communications sector can be detached from the nation-state more readily because of its more transnational nature.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org