[governance] Letter to Rod Beckstrom

Anja Kovacs anja at cis-india.org
Sun Sep 20 14:52:22 EDT 2009

Following on from Bertrand's email, I have an additional question,
triggered by the exchange between Milton and Parminder.

If it is denationalisation that we are striving for, rather than
internationalisation, then what will democratic representation in this
global polity look like, and how will it be achieved? It is fine to say
that new models should not allow for a corporate take-over, but how to
ensure that, especially in a world where the predominance of
corporations goes questioned so little?  Although state representation
is no guarantee that the interests of marginalised people in the South
will be taken into account, no other system of representation has
managed to do a better job at the global level so far, and it remains
tremendously unclear to me how corporates can be entrusted with the
public interest without clear government oversight.  If I am to think
away states, I would like to have an idea of what the alternatives would
look like.  That would also help in getting more of a sense of whether
the path to a democratic global polity might indeed pass through ICANN,
or not.

Thanks,
Anja

Dr. Anja Kovacs