[governance] Letter to Rod Beckstrom

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 13:48:25 EDT 2009

Meryem,

Thanks for the clarification. Well taken. Your point is therefore more about
ICANN not being an "institution", because of its supposed lack of social
purpose.

May I bring two elements to ponder/discuss in that respect :

1)  first, the text of ICANN's Articles of Incorporation contain the
following words :

3. This Corporation is a *nonprofit public benefit corporation* and is not
organized for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the
California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for charitable and
public purposes. The Corporation is organized, and will be operated,
*exclusively
for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes* within the meaning of
§ 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the "Code"),
or the corresponding provision of any future United States tax code. [ .. ]
In furtherance of the foregoing purposes, and in recognition of the fact
that the Internet is an international network of networks, owned by no
single nation, individual or organization, the Corporation shall, except as
limited by Article 5 hereof, *pursue the charitable and public purposes of
lessening the burdens of government and promoting the global public
interestin the operational stability of the Internet
*by (i) coordinating the assignment of Internet technical parameters as
needed to maintain universal connectivity on the Internet; (ii) performing
and overseeing functions related to the coordination of the Internet
Protocol ("IP") address space; (iii) performing and overseeing functions
related to the coordination of the Internet domain name system ("DNS"),
including the development of policies for determining the circumstances
under which new top-level domains are added to the DNS root system; (iv)
overseeing operation of the authoritative Internet DNS root server system;
and (v) engaging in any other related lawful activity in furtherance of
items (i) through (iv).

4. The Corporation shall operate *for the benefit of the Internet community
as a whole*, carrying out its activities in conformity with relevant
principles of international law and applicable international conventions and
local law and, to the extent appropriate and consistent with these Articles
and its Bylaws, through open and transparent processes that enable
competition and open entry in Internet-related markets. To this effect, the
Corporation shall cooperate as appropriate with relevant international
organizations.

Couldn't these words be qualified as defining a social purpose ?

2) In many respects, the domain name system is a global public
resource. *Doesn't
the management of a global public resource in the global public interest
qualify as a social purpose ?* Isn't ICANN an attempt at establishing a
multi-stakeholder organization/institution/agency managing a global public
resource ?

If this is the case, why not engage in trying to define its ideal
institutional framework ? Different stakeholder groups - and even people on
this list - may have different views on what the ideal institutional
framework should be for ICANN. And this is not only fine but necessary. But
they need to engage in the discussion in order to make it evolve to become
fully accountable.

The coming year will be an opportunity to develop such a debate. Why is
staying out of the discussion helping ICANN evolve in the right way ? There
will be opportunities for all actors in the coming months to weigh in,
because the discussion on the organization's future will develop. I hope
participants on this list will use them. I say it on a personal basis and in
my current functions.

Best

Bertrand