[governance] Halal Search Engine

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 04:54:28 EDT 2009

Hi

Until we know what this search engine will leave out/ block, and presuming
that the intentions behind this filtering are good and ethical, then what is
the problem?

It is no different from a public/ community library, NOT keeping
pornographic material, terrorism training manuals, books on how to torture
and kill human beings, how to smuggle endangered species and illegal drugs
etc. You will find books on these subjects, treated from an academic,
societal perspective, but not espousing these practices.

Regards,

Rui

2009/9/7 Lisa Horner <lisa at global-partners.co.uk>

> Hi
>
> I think what's important here is the principle of transparency.  As long
> as gatekeepers of information (such as search engines) are transparent
> about how they select content, including political, economic, cultural
> etc criteria, it's not necessarily a problem. Transparency needs to be
> coupled with "media literacy" amongst users.  They need to know that
> information presented to them can be affected by the values and bias of
> gatekeepers, and know how to find out about it and navigate around
> information to find what they need.  Whilst the medium is very
> different, the issues are similar to newspapers and broadcasters having
> political bias.
>
> Lisa

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa