[governance] Halal Search Engine

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 04:37:58 EDT 2009

Hi

I think what's important here is the principle of transparency.  As long
as gatekeepers of information (such as search engines) are transparent
about how they select content, including political, economic, cultural
etc criteria, it's not necessarily a problem. Transparency needs to be
coupled with "media literacy" amongst users.  They need to know that
information presented to them can be affected by the values and bias of
gatekeepers, and know how to find out about it and navigate around
information to find what they need.  Whilst the medium is very
different, the issues are similar to newspapers and broadcasters having
political bias.

Lisa