AW: [governance] so do i owe bill drake a pizza or not?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Sep 30 17:10:54 EDT 2009

On a quick first read -

I cant see this satisfying many of the critics, even if it is a good step.
For China and others, the NTIA is still there and there is still no level
playing field. I cant see ITU being happy as a result. Those who want no
governments involved wont be happy with the expanded GAC role. Maybe civil
society will be a little happier than most actors - I do see some better
language there and perhaps a hint of more change to come. And yes a few
western nations will applaud the decision and welcome it.

Perhaps one effect will be an upping of the politics of GAC and higher level
governmental delegations. Another effect I think is the legitimisation and
institutionalisation of ICANN - wheras a year or two ago there may have been
moves to replace ICANN with something else, I doubt whether any such moves
will gain traction any more. ICANN is now with us for the long term - for
better or for worse - and changing ICANN at a fundamental level is probably
going to be about as difficult as changing IP protocols.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org