[governance] Re: Internet voting and work of Craig Simon of this list

Craig Simon cls at rkey.com
Thu Oct 29 08:43:46 EDT 2009

To reiterate what I wrote when this discussion was raised in an earlier
thread:

... where formal public law-making and officer-selecting elections are
concerned, I'm not an advocate of Internet voting in particular, or of
electronic voting in general. I agree with those who argue that a system
of physically auditable records marked by the voter in a secret manner
(which we might call the "Hard Australian Ballot") promises a far more
legitimate account of voter desires.

...By putting aside (for now) the daunting but critical challenge of
pristine legitimacy, it's possible to address other important ones...
namely, how to facilitate a style of mass, diversified participation
that can effectively build consensus around valuable ideas.

++++

So, it's clear enough that the system I've been developing is indeed
flavored more like a computer science project than an immediate solution
to the hard problems of online voting. Nevertheless, it's a project with
a very practical intent.

Successful online-based democracies will need fair, scalable venues for
debate and discussion at least as much as they need secure election
processes. The system I've been developing is designed to enable online
democracy in the sense of a town hall, caucus, Indaba, or Loya Jirga,
where opinions are rendered in public and decision-making is an open
process.

The goal is to build a set of tools that members of large online
communities can use to: 1) gain the best possible awareness of candidate
options being raised within their communities, and; 2) build consensus
around the preferred candidates.

The project I've got in mind requires many pieces. One is already in
operation as a ranked choice voting system that provides an interactive
ballot and a rich visual display of results in real time. Please feel
free to try it out at http://apps.facebook.com/we-vote/

Thanks for your interest,

Craig Simon

     governance at lists.cpsr.org