[governance] Re: Cameroon and Wales collision in TLD space ?????

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Oct 17 10:56:00 EDT 2009

In message
<954259bd0910160843q1740718ay670d369134549ba7 at mail.gmail.com>, at
17:43:15 on Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Bertrand de La Chapelle
<bdelachapelle at gmail.com> writes
>Hi all,
>
>I have seen in previous posts this reference to the possible collision
>between .cym and the three letter ISO code for Cameroon. Did not chime
>in then as the thread had continued on another topic, but I am a bit
>puzzled here.
>
>If there is a problem, it's with the Cayman island (3-letter iso code
>CYM), not Cameroon.

You are quite right. I was mis-remembering who has the ISO3166-Alpha-3
code CYM. It is indeed Cayman Islands.

>As the Cayman islands are a UK territory, the
>relevant national authority is the same as the Wales proposal, isn't it

I'm not sure the UK has jurisdiction in such matters, in those two
places (but discussing that is a red herring). In any event the welsh
Dot-cym is apparently not currently a government entity.

>? Anyway, don't they already have a 2-letter ccTLD (kY is the 2-letter
>ISO 3166 code) ?

They do, but as I understand it there's a GAC proposal to *also* reserve
all the three-letter codes.

I don't express any view about the merit of such an additional
reservation, but merely observe that if it happens at least one
collision will occur (the welsh Dot-CYM campaign is well established).

>I suppose the possible collisions will only appear in due course as
>other proposals will be put forward.

I'm sure there will be other geographic collisions (even ones like
Paris, Texas versus Paris, France).

What I'm asking Paul is this:  if he believes the winner should be
decided "democratically", what form would the election take? It's about
process, rather than the exact details of any particular collision.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org