[governance] ICANN meets Silicon Valley

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Oct 14 18:40:02 EDT 2009

On 10/12/2009 01:52 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> FYI, ICANN will open new office in Palo Alto

ICANN routinely does this for its presidents (by-the-way, for ICANN the
term "CEO" is inaccurate.)  When I was on the board I suggested that
ICANN do this the president of that era.

There is a reason for this.

Under US tax law the costs of commuting from home to/from office are not
tax deductable.

But the costs of going from office to office are.

Thus, by way of establishing an "office" near the home of the president
of ICANN the costs of travel between that "office" and Marina del Rey
become tax deductible.

Its a way of shifting a piece of the compensation of the president off
of ICANN and onto the US taxpayer.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org