[governance] Truths and Proofs

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 8 12:49:11 EDT 2009

The "proof" of the premise that voting is necessary in some form is contained in many places.* The reality of trustworthy votes is as ancient as the travesty that women would have no vote, and the concepts of Ideology in Europe**.  Tyranny justified by necessity is an accepted reality as we see from Pitt***. So the arguments of possibility of fraud are not justification for denying international direct voting on matters of Internet Governance. (I specifically do not include IANA type Standard setting, and this should be done through appropriate representation via the scientific community and endorsed by those elected)

Of course all things of human making are subject to flaw -- thank goodness this includes computers ;-)  The flaws are never appropriate reason for not acting -- that is the difference between a justification and an excuse.

Marketing is Education and Education is Marketing.  People cringe at this phrase of mine, introduced to a communist country Internet Governance undergoing a Doi Moi, but several truths that are necessary here are held within.  It takes some type of propaganda to get folks caring enough to get out and participate and vote. There is a very fine line between revisionist history and education, Generally the debate between the two is settled by what the power at large wants to market. If we just accept that fact here we can move forward and begin to capitalize on the tools available.

We must begin the process of educating the users of the Internet of the fact that they in fact do have rights.  That the outsourced voice on the end of a helpline is not God.  That here they must Question Authority. That Use Agreements and Disclaimers and FAQs are not divinely inspired. We must begin to empower users -- not from without, to begin with, but from within their own self styled thought boxes. We must continue to act in a way that sheds some light on our freedoms and how they transcend modern global economies and instant communication networks.

When Parminder is tired and when McTim feels frustrated and when Paul believes no one cares and when Roland is cynical and when Avri only has hope -- they must get up and try harder and lead the way. They must talk when they are hoarse, must write when they are weary and must rally on bad news and celebrate on good. This is the foundation of Governance. Not polls or money or ease. But hard work and diligence and leading when there is no one to follow.

*
Article 21.

(1) Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
(2) Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.
(3) The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dodcJC_b1_QC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=universal+suffrage+was+achieved+in+britain+in+the
+year&source=bl&ots=j_IIwx4i9s&sig=UhN50VnhxHAGIE
QN65QoFM1q5ao&hl=en&ei=dAHOSs7tIIOotgOSkdnJDg&sa=X&oi=book_
result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CCAQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

*** http://thinkexist.com/quotation/necessity_is_the_plea_for_every_infringement_of/226531.html